“We’ve been catapulted into the Big Wake-Up Call with this election,” says my friend Gail. Wondering where to go from here, I look to Michael Jackson for courage and strategy. Here’s what I see:
- Refuse to be a victim. Stand your ground and use your power in unexpected ways. (Ghosts)
- Cultivate L.O.V.E., and use it as a Warrior. Michael said, “Make love your weapon to overcome any evil.” Ghosts is a wonderful example of that. In his concerts, he used awe and wonder to open people’s hearts, then poured in new ideas, new ways of being, and said NO! to racism, war, and environmental destruction. See that love radiating from him in Another Part of Me. We can radiate like that too, and use it to fuel our NO!
- Step in front of tanks. In other words, be love and confront injustice. Michael literally stepped in front of tanks during riveting performances of Earth Song before audiences who were recovering from wars, rewriting their stories of what was possible. (See also Earth Song official video, They Don’t Care About Us – Brazil version and prison version)
- Reach out to those with power. Despite the attacks against him, Michael never stopped trying to reach the human beings in power. (Another Part of Me and Who Is It. He was reaching out to soldiers in They Don’t Care About Us – This Is It version)
- Pray, dance, be in nature. Spiritual connection kept Michael going despite the crushing backlash against him. Prayer, dance and nature shake off fear and paralysis, connect us to Spirit, bring unexpected insight, and keep us alive. Do one of these every single day.
- Say, “I see you”. We need to be witnessed, and to witness each other, our pain (Stranger in Moscow) and our hope (Jam). Who Is It is a powerful and unexpected “I see your suffering” to the rulers of this planet.
- Look in the mirror. How can you change? Keep seeking to have a greater impact. (Man in the Mirror)
by Keely Meagan
Many thanks to RaPour for his artwork.
#MichaelJackson, #MJfam, #MJForever,